A VENUE that has its roots in the early 19th century is the theme of today’s Timeout.
The Brighton Dome was originally built in 1803, as a concert hall and riding school, now the Corn Exchange.
They were built for the Prince Regent at the time, the man who would later become George IV.
In the first world war the Dome and the Royal Pavilion were used to house injured Indian soldiers.
Pictured here is Sir Edward du Cann opening the Young Tory Conference held at the Dome in 1967.
He was a Conservative MP for Taunton from 1956 to 1987, and also served as the economic secretary to the Treasury from 1962 and chairman of the Conservative Party from 1965 to 1967.
The first pipe organ in the Dome’s concert hall was built in 1870 by Henry Willis & Sons.
It was removed in 1935 when the theatre was rebuilt, and in 1936 a tailor-made concert organ was installed which is still in use today.
In 1966, Brighton Dome closed for three months for redecoration. The photograph here shows a vast amount of scaffolding in the concert hall.
Jazz clarinettist Benny Goodman, who was born in Chicago in 1909, played at the Brighton Dome in 1971.
Audrey Selby is also pictured receiving champagne from Iris Noble, who ran a bar in New Street near the Dome.
Also pictured here is actress Joan Turner on stage at the Dome in 1970s and former prime minister Harold Wilson speaking there in 1976.
To see more of our fantastic pictures from yesteryear go to theargus.co.uk/photoarchive.
For more of our Nostalgia features go to theargus.co.uk/news/nostalgia.