Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Motorist Justin Johnson admits causing nephew Jordan Johnson's death

August 9, 2018 3:00 AM
61 0

A MOTORIST has been warned to expect jail after his driving killed his nephew and split his family.

Jordan David Keith Johnson, 23, died from the injuries he suffered when a Peugeot 206, driven by his uncle Justin Maxwell Johnson, 34, hit a stationary Mitsubishi Outlander on Towthorpe Moor Lane, Strensall, more than a year ago.

A water board employee, James Egan, was seriously injured by the same collision.

The uncle's barrister Alistair MacDonald QC told York Crown Court: "The family has split into two parts."

Relatives from both parts of the family were in the public gallery when Justin Johnson admitted his guilt on the day he was due to stand trial.

Justin Johnson, of Blacklee Close, Strensall, pleaded guilty to causing Jordan Johnson's death by careless driving on April 3, 2017.

He had previously denied causing death by dangerous driving and causing Mr Egan's serious injuries by dangerous driving.

Mr MacDonald said although there is no offence in law of causing serious injury by careless driving, the uncle accepted responsibility for Mr Egan's injuries.

Judge Simon Hickey said: "The water board employee was simply going about his business in the ditch."

He adjourned the case until September 6 while probation officers prepare a pre-sentence report at the defence's request and banned the uncle from driving under an interim order.

He warned the uncle about his sentence: "The starting point will be custody for a case such as this. Be under no illusions."

York Crown Court heard that the sentencing judge, who is expected to be York's senior sitting judge, Judge Andrew Stubbs QC, will take Mr Egan's injuries into account when passing sentence and will set the exact length of the driving ban.

Towthorpe Moor Lane was closed for several hours after the crash shortly after the morning rush hour while emergency services dealt with the aftermath.

Jordan Johnson was taken to Leeds General Infirmary where he died later the same day.

Justin Johnson was taken to York Hospital and Mr Egan to James Cook Hospital, which has a helicopter landing pad, in Middlesbrough.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0