Dean Geary death: Police launch re-investigation

November 26, 2013 11:20 AM

56 0

Dean Geary death: Police launch re-investigation

Police have launched a fresh investigation into the death of a man whose body was discovered on a country road more than three years ago.

The body of Dean Geary, 19, was found by a member of the public at 05:30 on 7 February 2010 on the A811 Drymen to Gartocharn road.

The original inquiry concluded Mr Geary had died after being struck by a vehicle.

The re-investigation will be carried out by officers from Police Scotland's Major Investigation Team West.

The original inquiry found that Mr Geary, from Alexandria in West Dunbartonshire, had been out with friends in Glasgow city centre the night before his body was found.

He left the Tattoo nightclub alone at 02:00, and was seen on a CCTV camera in the city's George Square about 40 minutes later.

There were several other sightings of Mr Geary on CCTV in the city centre, including close to a taxi rank on the corner of Renfield Street and Sauchiehall Street at about 03:20.

Later, at about 03:30, Mr Geary spoke to a friend and said he was in a taxi. At 05:00, he was seen by three motorists walking on the A811 near Gartocharn towards Drymen.

Det Ch Insp Kenny Graham, who is leading the new investigation, said: "Over three years have passed since Dean's death but I still believe there are opportunities to find out exactly what happened to him on the night of Saturday 6 February 2010.

"Dean's body was found around seven miles from his home and it has never been established why he was in the Gartocharn area or how he got there.

"I believe there are still people who have information about Dean who have not yet come forward."

Mr Geary's death was initially treated as suspicious by the police, who believed he may have been assaulted, but it was later concluded he was killed as the result of an accidental collision, and no charges were brought.

A taxi driver was charged with wasting police time by telling officers Mr Geary had been murdered, but the charges against him were later dropped.

Anyone with any information about Mr Geary, who saw him on Saturday 6 February, or can in any way help the inquiry has been asked to contact an incident room at East Kilbride police office.


To category page