A KEY adviser to Donald Trump has quit his job in protest over the US President's decision to pull US troops out of Syria, a source familiar with the matter said on Saturday, just days after it was confirmed US defence secretary James Mattis had tendered his resignation.
And Brett McGurk’s decision came less than a fortnight after he warned it would be “reckless” to leave the region on the assumption the threat posed by Daesh had been defeated. Mr McGurk, US special presidential envoy for the global coalition to defeat Islamic State, submitted his resignation effective December 31 to Secretary of State Mike Pompeo on Friday, a State Department official said. Mr Trump announced on Wednesday that Washington would withdraw the roughly 2,000 US troops in Syria, upending a pillar of American policy in the Middle East and alarming US allies.
Mr McGurk, who was slated to leave his post in February 2019, objected to Mr Trump's snap Syria decision, a person familiar with the matter said, and Mr Mattis' departure also helped prompt Mr McGurk's early resignation, reported Reuters.
Earlier this month, Mr McGurk, one of the few Obama administration staff retained in the current administration, insisted US forces would remain in Syria even after ISIS was defeated.
“I think anyone who's looked at a conflict like this would agree with that."
On the same day, he tweeted: “Strongest possible U.S. commitment to the victims of #ISIS genocide and crimes against humanity: @POTUS signs into law the Iraq & Genocide Relief and Accountability Act following its enactment by bipartisan consensus in Congress.”
Mr Mattis had previously made his feelings plain in a brusque letter explaining his reasons.
He wrote: “One core belief I have always held is that our strength as a nation is inextricably linked to the strength of our unique and comprehensive system of alliances and partnerships.