NURSING homes across North and South Carolina have been evacuated ahead of the arrival of Hurricane Florence, in a bid to avoid the tragic deaths which occurred last year when care homes were flooded in Florida during hurricane Irma.
South Carolina Governor Henry McMaster called for a “mandatory evacuation” of all nursing homes on the projected path of Hurricane Florence on Monday.
All 32 nursing and assisted-living compounds along the state’s coast have since been evacuated.
One nursing home, Heritage Place in Fayetteville, evacuated on Thursday morning.
Those moved to safety included Roger Thornhill, a 96-year-old war hero who fought in the Second World War.
Referring to hurricanes he said: “I’ve been through them all. This is the worst one yet.”
Randy Lee, president of the South Carolina Health Care Association, said that in his facility they “have residents who have not left the building in 10 years”.