Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Homeless man who picked up marathon runner's lost number to complete the race himself and claim finisher's medal admits fraud

June 15, 2018 4:05 PM
36 0

The homeless man who cheated in the London Marathon to be snapped kissing a finisher's medal wearing someone else's number has admitted fraud.

A MailOnline exclusive revealed Stanislaw Skupian crossed the finish line after snatching Jake Halliday’s lost number from the floor.

The 38-year-old was pictured at the end of the 26.2-mile circuit celebrating with a finisher’s medal but at that stage his name was not known to the public.

Skupian spotted the number on the ground near the finishing line after jumping the barrier to join the run 12 miles in.

Scotland Yard said he was charged on May 18 and appeared at Uxbridge Magistrates’ Court on the same day.

The Crown Prosecution Service confirmed on Friday he pleaded guilty to one count of fraud by false representation at the hearing.

The charge, detailed in court papers, states Skupian used a 'stolen race identifier for the London Marathon' and crossed the finish line.

It says he intended to make a gain for himself, 'namely a finisher’s medal and other items associated with completing the London Marathon'.

Skupian, of no fixed address, also admitted three further charges of theft at Heathrow Airport. He has been remanded in custody ahead of sentence.

Mr Halliday, who had been running for charity Bloodwise, did not complete the race after losing his number.

Today he said he was unaware Skupian had pleaded guilty to fraud over the incident and did not want to comment on the case.

After he was pictured, Skupian came forward and revealed his name to The Sun, telling how he spotted the lost number and the pride he felt at crossing the line.

'I had no thoughts of the person whose number it was,' he told the paper. 'I picked it up and held it to my chest as I crossed the line, I was in tears.

In May it was reported that Skupian was being banned from Heathrow airport and surrounding areas where he had been sleeping rough.

He struggled on crutches into a hearing during which he admitted breaching a police order to leave terminal three.

The rough sleeper blamed his injury on a 'racist' group he claims beat him up outside The Bell pub In Hounslow on Bank Holiday Monday in the hope he'd never run again.

A London Marathon spokeswoman said organisers would not comment until the end of the legal process.


Share in social networks:

Comments - 0