Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

David Miliband calls on EU to allow half a million refugees to resettle in Europe

April 3, 2018 12:12 PM
54 0
David Miliband calls on EU to allow half a million refugees to resettle in Europe

DAVID Miliband urged the European Union to stop “playing catch up” with the refugee crisis and step up its efforts to tackle it by bringing in half a million refugees over the next five years, a proposal likely to anger many EU state members.

International Rescue Committee (IRC) chairman Mr Miliband's proposal would see the number of people welcomed across the bloc raised by almost ten per cent every year.

The move could see Britain take in 15,000 refugees a year, almost twice the number of people it resettled in 2017 (6,859).

Former Labour MP, Mr Miliband said: “It’s doubling from a very low number to another very low number.

“No one’s going to tell me that my former constituency of South Shields is going to be overwhelmed by six refugees.

EU state members such as Czech Republic, Hungary and Poland, will likely protest against this increase, as last year they refused to participate in a programme that relocated refugees arrived on the Greek and Italian shores.

Under the target proposed by Mr Miliband, the EU would take in 108,000 refugees every year for five years from communities in countries such as Jordan, Turkey and Lebanon.

All countries would be required to set a target proportionate to their GDP and population for refugee resettlement.

Europe, said Mr Miliband, should “become a proactive player” in dealing with the migrant crisis after it had played “catch up” with it over the past few years.

Source: express.co.uk

Share in social networks:

Comments - 0