Receive up-to-the-minute news updates on the hottest topics with NewsHub. Install now.

Business

All category news

  • Provident offer reprieve to investors as firm hires 300 money collectors and share price rises by 12.4 %

    October 13, 2017 8:51 PM 9

    Troubled doorstep lender Provident Financial granted investors a reprieve yesterday, as bosses insisted a clean-up operation was on track. The firm’s stock crashed in August and chief executive Peter Crook quit after a disastrous reorganisation saw it lose thousands of its debt collectors and customers, which led to a profit warning. But interim boss Manjit

  • Petrol and diesel cars WILL be banned from this major UK city by 2020

    October 12, 2017 7:15 AM 24

    Petrol and diesel cars will be banned from Oxford City Centre from 2020. Only electric cars will be allowed in what is being called the world’s first Zero Emissions Zone. The new zone will not only see petrol and diesel cars banned but also buses and taxis. From 2020 just six central streets will have restricted access to non-zero emissions cars but this will expand

  • Sky's first quarter revenues rise by 5%

    October 12, 2017 7:04 AM 22

    Sky, the European pay TV group that Rupert Murdoch is trying to buy, said it made a strong start to its new year. Sky said its like-for-like revenue rose by 5% and it added 160,000 new customers, up 51% from the same time a year ago. The company reported like-for-like first-quarter revenue of £3.3 billion and core earnings of £582m, up 11%. Murdoch's

  • WTO countries fret over Brexit plans

    October 11, 2017 3:57 PM 25

    The UK and EU have formally set out plans for World Trade Organization commitments post-Brexit, but they have already been opposed by some countries. The issue is about how much of certain goods can be imported at reduced tariffs after Brexit. But seven nations, including the US and Canada, have already made it clear that they think plans to divide existing

  • London's lack of affordable homes will help property developer Telford Homes boost its finances, company claims

    October 11, 2017 12:00 PM 5

    A chronic lack of supply of 'affordable' homes in London will help boost the financial prospects of property developers Telford Homes, the company has claimed. While 'development timings' mean the group's first half profits will be 'significantly lower' than a year ago, the group believes building more homes in 'non-prime' spots across the capital for around

  • Get bonus cash from Post Office's Online Isa as rates begin to creep up

    October 11, 2017 11:51 AM 18

    RCI Bank pays 1.3% AER variable interest - the best rate available - on its easy access deal. Deposits in its Freedom Savings Account have no FSCS protection, but you are covered for up to €100,000 by the French equivalent (FGDR). Milestone Savings pays 1.82% AER on its one-year fixed term deposit account. The account is Sharia compliant and offers an expected

  • Costa coffee owner Whitbread pays £35m to seize control of its business in China

    October 10, 2017 11:10 PM 9

    The owner of Costa has paid £35million to seize control of its business in China. Whitbread currently owns 51 per cent of Costa's Chinese business, operating 252 chains in the region in partnership with Yueda. But it is seeking to acquire the remaining 49 per cent from the investment group as demand for coffee in China takes off. The increased demand

  • UK left behind in IMF global economic growth upgrade

    October 10, 2017 10:23 AM 15

    The International Monetary Fund maintains its UK forecast following a summer downgrade, citing continuing Brexit uncertainty. The world's lender of last resort said in its latest World Economic Outlook that Brexit uncertainties were continuing to hold the UK back - maintaining key figures from its summer downgrade. It forecast a static gross domestic

  • Coconut porridge fad helps Pret A Manger boost profits by almost £30m

    October 9, 2017 9:22 AM 15

    Trendy pots of coconut flavoured porridge helped sandwich chain Pret A Manger boost profits by almost £30 million in 2016. The UK arm of its business said profits rose to £86 million in the 12 months to December, up from £57 million the previous year, accounts show. It also opened another 30 stores, bringing the total up to 329 nationwide. The chain

  • TONY HETHERINGTON: My husband's unused phone credit is in the balance now that his provider is closing down

    October 7, 2017 5:52 PM 10

    Tony Hetherington is Financial Mail on Sunday's ace investigator, fighting readers corners, revealing the truth that lies behind closed doors and winning victories for those who have been left out-of-pocket. Find out how to contact him below. Mrs S.W. writes: Phone company Talkmobile is closing down its pay as you go accounts and advising customers to transfer